Alec Baldwin handed over his cell phone to investigators investigating the fatal shooting of Rust in October in New Mexico, the actor's lawyer and a police official said Friday.
A search warrant was issued for Baldwin's iPhone in December. The Santa Fe County Sheriff's Office said earlier this week that he was still trying to get the actor's device.
On Friday, the sheriff's spokesman, Juan Rios, announced that Baldwin's phone had been handed over to Suffolk County, New York authorities, who were in the process of receiving information to send to Santa Fe.
Baldwin was rehearsing a scene in the filming of Western Rust when the gun he was holding fired and a bullet killed filmmaker Halina Hutchins. The actor has stated that he did not pull the trigger and that he is devastated by the incident.
The search warrant gave investigators the right to seize Baldwin's phone in order to examine the messages and other information stored on the device, according to court documents.
Aaron Dyer, Baldwin's lawyer, confirmed that the actor had handed over the phone earlier on Friday. “However, the issue is not about his phone and there are no answers on the device. “Alec did nothing wrong,” Dyer said. “The real question that needs to be answered is how the real bullets were first found on set,” he added.