The Ministry of Health announces that today, January 17, 2022 :
- 3 people died of COVID-19, bringing the total number of deaths to 684.
- 270 COVID-19 patients are being treated, of which 94 are in serious condition. 70.64% of patients do not have a history of vaccination.
- 17 post-COVID patients who have ceased to be infectious (declassified cases) continue to be hospitalized in intensive care due to COVID in an Intensive Care Unit.
- A total of 138,351 disease detection tests have been performed by the molecular method (PCR) and the antigen rapid test method.
- 3,143 (positivity rate: 2.27%) new cases of COVID-19 were detected by molecular tests (PCR) and antigen rapid tests, bringing the total number of cases to 228,881.
The current results are detailed.
A. Deaths from COVID-19 disease:
The 3 people who died with the ultimate cause of death attributed to COVID-19 disease, relate to:
– A 70-year-old man who died on January 16 at the Limassol General Hospital.
– A 91-year-old man, who ended up on January 17 at the Limassol General Hospital.
– A 64-year-old man who died on January 17 at Paphos General Hospital.
Thus, the total number of final causes of COVID-19 disease is 684, of which:
- 430 men (62.9%), and
- 254 women (37.1%).
The average age of those who die from the disease is 76 years.
In total, 270 patients with COVID-19 are treated in OKYPY hospitals, of which 94 are in serious condition or in MAF conditions.
Of the 94 patients in serious condition, 34 are intubated, 6 are admitted to an intravenous intensive care unit and 54 to an intensive care unit.
The situation in the hospitals is as follows:
|Hospital||Chamber||Number of Patients|
|Intensive Care Unit||15|
|Intensive Care Unit||8|
|Intensive Care Unit||16|
|Intensive Care Unit||6|
|Intensive Care Unit||9|
| Intensive Care Units
|Except for a respirator||6|
C. Positive cases COVID -19 (PCR test and rapid antigen test):
Of the 138,351 diagnoses made, 10,024 were made by the molecular method (PCR) and 128,327 by the antigen rapid test method, 3143 cases of COVID-19 were identified, which resulted as follows:
- 89 cases from 1,744 samples taken through the process of tracking contacts of already confirmed cases.
- 65 cases from 3,724 samples taken as part of a passenger check at Larnaca and Paphos Airports.
- 358 cases from 3,928 samples taken through private initiative.
- 26 cases from 358 samples taken from the Microbiological Laboratories of the General Hospitals.
- 1,666 cases from 76,128 samples tested by the antigen rapid test method in private clinical laboratories and pharmacies.
- 927 cases from 52,199 samples that were examined by the method of antigen rapid test through the program of the Ministry of Health.
- 12 cases from 270 samples received under the program of referrals by Personal Physicians and control of special groups through the Public Health Clinics.
In detail, the rapid antigen tests (rapid test) through the program of the Ministry of Health were carried out today as follows:
|Province / Sector||Test number||Number of positives|
The figures mentioned in the announcement are indicative and may vary based on the final and up-to-date data sent in the context of the National Epidemiological Risk Report published every second Friday.