The Ministry of Health announces that today, January 23, 2021:
- Four people have died of COVID-19, bringing the total number of deaths to 183.
- 174 COVID-19 patients are hospitalized, of which 59 are in serious condition.
- A total of 8,155 disease detection tests have been performed with the molecular method (PCR) and the antigen rapid test method.
- 129 (positivity rate: 1.58%) new cases of COVID-19 disease were detected by molecular tests (PCR) and antigen rapid tests, bringing the total number of cases to 29,887 .
The current results are detailed.
A. Deaths from COVID-19 disease:
The four people who died with the ultimate cause of death attributed to COVID-19 are:
- A 78-year-old man with underlying diseases, who ended up in the Intensive Care Unit of the Nicosia General Hospital.
- Woman, 89 years old, with underlying diseases, who ended up at the General Hospital of Famagusta.
- Woman, 81 years old, with underlying diseases, who ended up at the Limassol General Hospital.
- A 87-year-old man with underlying diseases, who ended up at the Limassol General Hospital.
Therefore, the total number of deaths with a final cause of COVID-19 is 183, of which:
- 122 men (67%), and
- 61 women (33%).
The average age of those who die from the disease is 80 years.
In total, 174 patients with COVID-19 are treated in OKYPY hospitals, of which 59 are in serious condition or in MAF conditions.
Of the 59 patients who are critical, 29 are intubated, six are admitted to an intravenous intensive care unit and 24 to an intensive care unit.
The situation in the hospitals is as follows:
|Hospital||Chamber||Number of Patients|
|Famagusta (60 patients)||Intensive Care Unit||8|
|Intensive Care Unit||35 (6 out of a respirator)|
|Intensive Care Unit||10|
|Intensive Care Unit||6|
C. Positive cases COVID -19 (PCR test and rapid antigen test):
Of the 8,155 laboratory diagnoses performed today, 2,037 were made by molecular method (PCR) and 6,118 by antigen rapid test, 129 cases of COVID-19 were identified, which resulted as follows:
- 36 cases from 346 samples taken through the process of tracking contacts of already confirmed cases.
- 2 cases of 344 samples taken as part of a passenger check at Larnaca and Paphos Airports.
- 17 cases from 760 samples taken through private initiative.
- 17 cases from 284 samples taken from the Microbiological Laboratories of the General Hospitals.
- 2 cases from 215 samples received under the program of referrals by Personal Physicians and control of special groups through the Public Health Clinics.
- 55 cases from 6,118 samples tested by the antigen rapid test method.
In addition, the following laboratory tests were performed without detecting a case:
- 88 samples taken as part of a re-inspection carried out on the 7th day after the arrival of persons returning from the United Kingdom and being compulsorily restricted to hotels in the Republic.
In detail, the rapid antigen test (rapid test) was performed today as follows:
|Province||Sampling points||Test number||Number of positives|
|Positiveness rate:||1.43 %|
|Larnaca||Central area – Point A.||318||4|
|Central area – Point B.||137||0|
|Positiveness rate:||0.63 %|
|Strovolos – Point A.||321||4|
|Strovolos – Point B.||357||5|
|Beyond the Village of the Island||382||2|
|Lower Tower of Tillyria||123||0|
|Positiveness rate:||0.80 %|
|Positiveness rate:||0.29 %|
|Positiveness rate:||3.03 %|
|Retirement Homes / Roofs||Nicosia||108||0|
5,448 vaccination appointments available – Applies to people aged 90 and over
Υφ. Innovation: “Sorry, wrong” – Messages were sent to citizens stating that they are contact contacts
Increased compass tests that will lead to de-escalation of restrictive measures