The Ministry of Health announces that today, January 16, 2021:
- One person has died of COVID-19, bringing the total number of deaths to 167.
- 193 COVID-19 patients are hospitalized, of which 59 are in serious condition.
- A total of 8,014 disease detection tests have been performed by the molecular method (PCR) and the antigen rapid detection method (antigen rapid test).
- 202 (positivity rate: 2.52%) new cases of COVID-19 disease were detected by molecular tests (PCR) and antigen rapid test (antigen rapid test), bringing the total number of cases to 28,811 .
The current results are detailed.
A. Deaths from COVID-19 disease:
One person who died with the ultimate cause of death attributed to COVID-19 is:
- A 70-year-old man with underlying diseases ended up at Limassol General Hospital.
Therefore, the total number of deaths with a final cause of COVID-19 is 167, of which:
- 111 men (66%), and
- 56 women (34%).
The average age of those who die from the disease is 79 years.
In total, 193 patients with COVID-19 are treated in OKYPY hospitals, of which 59 are in serious condition or in MAF conditions.
Of the 59 patients who are critical, 29 are intubated, eight are admitted to an intravenous intensive care unit and 22 to an intensive care unit.
The situation in the hospitals is as follows:
|Hospital||Chamber||Number of Patients|
|Famagusta (60 patients)||Intensive Care Unit||6|
|Intensive Care Unit||37 (8 out of ventilator)|
|Intensive Care Unit||9|
|Intensive Care Unit||7|
C. Positive cases COVID -19 ( PCR test and rapid antigen test ) :
Of the 8,014 laboratory diagnoses performed today, 2,403 were made by the molecular method (PCR) and 5,611 by the antigen rapid test, 202 cases of COVID-19 were identified, which resulted as follows:
- 52 cases from 413 samples taken through the process of tracking contacts of already confirmed cases.
- 3 cases from 258 samples taken as part of a passenger check at Larnaca and Paphos Airports.
- 7 cases from 98 samples taken as part of a re-examination carried out on the 7th day after the arrival of persons who have returned from the United Kingdom and are in a mandatory restriction in hotels in the Republic.
- 29 cases from 1,169 samples taken through private initiative.
- 8 cases from 287 samples taken from the Microbiological Laboratories of the General Hospitals.
- 103 cases from 5,611 samples tested by the antigen rapid test method.
In addition, the following laboratory tests were performed without detecting a case:
- 178 samples taken under the program of referrals by Personal Physicians and control of special groups through the Public Health Clinics.
In detail, the rapid antigen test (rapid test) was performed today as follows:
|Province||Sampling points||Test number||Number of positives|
|Positiveness rate:||3.51 %|
|Positiveness rate:||2.32 %|
|Pera Orini / Episkopio / Politiko||169||2|
|Positiveness rate:||1.14 %|
|Positiveness rate:||0.42 %|
|Positiveness rate:||1.01 %|
|Retirement Homes / Roofs||Nicosia||225||0|
Points for free Rapid test for Sunday 17 January
What about Pfizer vaccines – Why they are delayed – Concern in Europe
December is the worst month of the pandemic – Statistics