A death from COVID-19 disease and 466 new cases from 12,831 disease detection tests with the molecular method and the method of rapid antigen detection were announced today, Friday, by the Ministry of Health.
Specifically, the Ministry of Health announces that today, January 8, 2021:
- One person has died of COVID-19, bringing the total number of deaths to 141.
- 198 COVID-19 patients are hospitalized, of which 52 are in serious condition.
- A total of 12,831 disease detection tests have been performed by the molecular method (PCR) and the antigen rapid test method.
- 466 (positivity rate: 3.63%) new cases of COVID-19 disease were detected by molecular tests (PCR) and antigen rapid tests, bringing the total number of cases to 26,674.
The current results are detailed.
A. Deaths from COVID-19 disease:
One person who died with the ultimate cause of death attributed to COVID-19 is:
- A 93-year-old man with underlying diseases, who ended up at the General Hospital of Famagusta.
Therefore, the total number of deaths with a final cause of COVID-19 is 141, of which:
- 95 men (67%), and
- 46 women (33%).
The average age of those who die from the disease is 80 years.
In total, 198 patients with COVID-19 are treated in OKYPY hospitals, of which 52 are in serious condition or in MAF conditions.
Of the 52 patients who are critical, 30 are intubated, four are admitted to an intravenous intensive care unit and 18 to an intensive care unit.
The situation in the hospitals is as follows:
|Hospital||Chamber||Number of Patients|
|Famagusta (71 patients)||Intensive Care Unit||6|
|Intensive Care Unit||34 (4 except ventilator)|
|Intensive Care Unit||7|
|Intensive Care Unit||5|
C. Positive cases COVID -19 ( PCR test and rapid antigen test ) :
Of the 12,831 laboratory diagnoses performed today, 3,451 were made by the molecular method (PCR) and 9,380 by the antigen rapid test, 466 cases of COVID-19 were identified, which resulted as follows:
- 171 cases from 875 samples taken through the process of tracking contacts of already confirmed cases.
- 4 cases from 356 samples taken as part of a passenger check at Larnaca and Paphos Airports.
- 44 cases from 1,532 samples taken through private initiative.
- 23 cases from 489 samples taken from the Microbiological Laboratories of the General Hospitals.
- 1 case of 37 samples taken under the program of referrals by Personal Physicians and control of special groups through the Public Health Clinics.
- 2 cases from 147 samples taken as part of a re-examination carried out on the 7th day after the arrival of persons who have returned from the United Kingdom and are in a mandatory restriction in hotels in the Republic.
- 5 cases from 15 samples taken as part of the control of the Cyprus Basketball Federation and the Cyprus Volleyball Federation.
- 216 cases from 9,380 samples tested by the antigen rapid test method.
In detail, the rapid antigen test (rapid test) was performed today as follows:
|Province||Sampling points||Test number||Number of positives|
|Germasogeia – Point A.||231||9|
|Germasogeia – Point B.||262||2|
|Positiveness rate:||4.64 %|
|Positiveness rate:||2.37 %|
|Nicosia||Strovolos – Point A.||422||11|
|Strovolos – Point B.||485||7|
|Positiveness rate:||1.92 %|
|Paphos||Central area – Point A.||283||3|
|Central area – Point B.||239||3|
|Positiveness rate:||1.15 %|
|Famagusta||Paralimni – Point A.||147||6|
|Paralimni – Point B.||176||5|
|Positiveness rate:||3.41 %|
|Retirement Homes / Roofs||Nicosia||31||4|
|National Guard||National Guard camps throughout Cyprus||25||0|
|Public and Wider Public Sector||Departments and Services of Public and Wider Public Sector, Local Government||1,217||0|
|Health professionals||Public and Private Hospitals all over Cyprus||52||0|
SMS from Sunday 5:00 in the morning, 21:00 – 5:00, schools are closed, in parks and beaches only for sports, churches without believers – These measures were announced by the Minister of Health
Free rapid test tomorrow – See sampling points