Rejects the office of the T/C leader, the Confidence Building Measures (MOE) submitted by the President of the Republic of Cyprus, Nikos Anastasiadis, referring to “an attempt to create impressions and spread the power of the Greek Cypriot side throughout the island.” strong>
Announcement of the “president” states that proposals of the pseudo-state are being processed, which, as he claims, will contribute to the economy and prosperity “of the two peoples, Cyprus and the region , on the basis of respect for the protected rights “and which will be notified to all interested parties when finalized.
The statement issued on Tuesday also said that if the Greek Cypriot side wants to build trust between the two sides, it must first prove its sincerity and put an end to efforts to block the Turkish Cypriots in all areas.
“Steps to build trust between the two parties can be negotiated on the basis of new, creative and realistic proposals that will lead to mutual benefit,” the statement said.
He adds that instead the Greek Cypriot side continues to block the Turkish Cypriot side's access to the international community in any field “using the regime abused by claiming the so-called only recognized state of the island of Cyprus and on the other hand trying to persuade the authorities that it is trying to build a climate of trust. This behavior is simply dishonest. “
As mentioned, the evaluation and coordination meetings of the Cyprus issue, which began in March 2021 on the initiative of the former Special Representative of the General UN Secretary-General for Cyprus Elizabeth Spehar has been meeting on a weekly basis since then, between Ersin Tatar's special envoy Ergun Olgun and the Greek Cypriot negotiator.
It is also reported that on May 20, 2022, the newly appointed negotiator Menelaos Menelaou gave a copy of Anastasiadis's letter, dated May 19, 2022, to Mr. Olgun, to be forwarded to Mr. Tatar and a copy to the Special Representative of the Secretary-General for Cyprus. , Colin Stewart.
As it is mentioned, Mr. Olgun immediately examined the content of the letter and as he said, “it is unacceptable to include the title of the President of the Republic of Cyprus at the beginning of the letter”, adding that it is unacceptable to refer to the exhausted negotiating base, cultivating the illusion that it is valid “. It is reported that this situation has remained in the past and does not reflect the current situation on the ground.
It is added that as the UN Secretary General stated, the process is currently underway finding a common ground between the two sides and a new formal process can be undertaken only after the recognition of the guaranteed rights of the two parties on the basis, as it states, of sovereign equality and an equal international regime. In addition, he states that the “so-called MOE proposals” mentioned in the letter are nothing but “an attempt to create an impression and spread the power of the Greek Cypriot side throughout the island.”
“Therefore, these so-called MOE proposals were rejected in accordance with our previous statements,” the statement said.