12.9 C
Sunday, April 21, 2024

“May God make me a liar, we were betrayed”-Sixty-seven years since the sacrifice of Grigoris Auxentios

Must read

«Ο Θεoς να με βγλ ει ψεyτη, προδοθorκαμε»-Εξorντα επ τa χρoνια απo τη θυσiα του Γρηγoρη Α υξεντiου

March 3, 1957… The British helicopters above the hideout surround Machira's cross eagle… He and his comrades resist, but after many hours orders them to leave. He lives alone and with a “Molon Lave” as another Leonidas, he stood up to the conquerors and bravely faced death when they poured gasoline on him and burned him alive.

This was Grigoris Auxentiou, Zidros as he was known during the struggle, the deputy leader of EOKA, who fought with the English conquerors, for the liberation of Cyprus from their yoke . His memory remained undimmed over the years, his determination became a beacon for the young.

Grigoris Auxentiou was born on February 22, 1928 in Lysi and attended the Primary School of his village. He then went to Famagusta High School and after graduating, he left for Greece, where he enlisted in the Greek army and went through the Reserve Infantry Officers School. At the same time, he studied philology in order to enter the philosophical school of Athens. He was discharged from the Army as a Reserve Second Lieutenant of Infantry and then served on the Greek-Bulgarian border for a few months, before returning to Cyprus in 1952.

In the first line of Agona

In 1953 the reserve second lieutenant Grigoris Auxentiou returned to Cyprus, proud because he was able to serve Greece even for a few years and acquired the formal Greek citizenship.

With the help of Grigoris Grigoras from Lysi, also known as “Daveli”, on January 20, 1955, “Zidros” met with Georgios Grivas Digenis, who was the leader of the EOKA. and gave him the speech of his military honor. Thus he entered the struggle against the English. He took the nicknames, among others, “Zidros”, “Rigas”, “Aiantas”, “Mars”, “Mastros”, “Antaeus” and “Zotos”.

He fought hard in the resistance against the British and very quickly he was given the position of Deputy Chief of the EOKA. He served as Head of Famagusta-Varossi, at the beginning of the Struggle.

On April 1, 1955, he was wanted by the British for his participation in the struggle and was transferred to the province of Kyrenia, where he served as the head of the EOKA until September 1955. From December 1955 he was the head of Pitsilia until the day he fell fighting.

READ HERE:< /b> From Auxentios' term in Kilkis, to Auxentios Xanthi-Travel REPORTER

«Ο Θεoς να με βγλ ει ψεyτη, προδοθorκαμε»-Εξorντα επ τa χρoνια απo τη θυσiα του Γρηγoρη Α υξεντiου

As of today his heroic sacrifice

It was March 3 1957. In the mountains of Machaira, Auxentiou was giving lessons of heroism to the whole world. English soldiers surrounded his hideout near Machaira.

Grigoris then shouted:

“Comrades, God make me a liar, we have been betrayed.” “Chief, with you even in death” they all whispered. They did not have time to finish their conversation and the soldiers arrived at the entrance of the hideout. They shouted at the men to surrender but no response.

The battle lasted for hours. In his group were Andreas Stylianou, Augustis Efstathiou, Antonis Papadopoulos and Phidias Symeonidis, whom, however, he ordered to come out of the hiding place and surrender in order to save themselves, while he stayed and fought the enemies alone for 10 hours, wounded by a shrapnel grenade. He himself determined not to fall alive into the hands of the English and if he had to sacrifice himself he told them verbatim:

When asked by the English to surrender, he had only one answer to give: “Molon Lave”. Immediately, four soldiers rushed into the cave. Auxentiou welcomed them with stormy fire. The three British retreated in terror, the fourth, a corporal, fell dead. According to the testimony of Augustus Efstathiou's comrade-in-arms, who after throwing a grenade into the hideout returned, at the behest of the British, to ascertain if Auxentiou was alive and to convince him to surrender.

Augustus preferred to stay with his leader. Grigoris shouted: “Now there are two of us. Come and get us.” And the battle continued until the afternoon. Their attempt was to keep the battle going until nightfall and taking advantage of the darkness to escape.

The English soldiers, who realized their purpose, surrounded the hiding place with gasoline, set it on fire and burned Auxentiou alive, while Augustis Efstathiou, with severe burns, tries to leave and is arrested.

Oil incendiary bombs set everything on fire. Thus, burning like a torch, Grigoris Auxentiou fell, a shapeless mass of burnt flesh, shooting to the end, Sunday, March 3, 1957.

«Ο Θεoς να με βγλ ει ψεyτη, προδοθorκαμε»-Εξorντα επ τa χρoνια απo τη θυσiα του Γρηγoρη Α υξεντiου

Marios Tokas and Yiannis Ritsos praised the deputy leader of EOKA with the “Farewell of Grigoris Auxentios” in 1997.

Take, eat,

this is my body and blood,

the body and blood of Grigoris Auxentiou,

a poor boy, 29 years old, from the village of Lysi,

taxi driver, the profession,

learned at the Great School of Struggle,

only so many letters,

as many as make the word “E L E Y THERIA “,

that he learned in the Great School of Struggle,

so many letters only,

whatever makes the word ” E L E Y THERIA “.

READ HERE: Glioris, Zedros, Aiantas the Mastros-The day the sun of Machira went out

Source: reporter.com.cy

- Advertisement -AliExpress WW

More articles

- Advertisement -AliExpress WW

Latest article