Announcement of the Ministry of Health regarding new cases of COVID-19 disease
The Ministry of Health announces that today, March 8, 2021:
- No deaths of patients with a final cause of death of COVID-19 have been reported to date, leaving a total of 233 deaths.
- 145 COVID-19 patients are being treated, of which 25 are in serious condition.
- A total of 40,891 disease detection tests have been performed by the molecular method (PCR) and the antigen rapid test method.
- 352 (positivity rate: 0.86%) new cases of COVID-19 disease were detected by molecular tests (PCR) and antigen rapid tests, bringing the total number of cases to 37,230 .
The current results are detailed.
A. Deaths from COVID-19 disease:
No deaths of COVID-19 patients have been reported to date. Therefore, the total number of final causes of COVID-19 disease remains 233, of which:
- 156 men (67%), and
- 77 women (33%).
The average age of those who die from the disease is 79 years.
In total, 145 patients with COVID-19 are treated in OKYPY hospitals, 25 of which are in serious condition or in MAF conditions.
Of the 25 patients who are critical, 15 are intubated in the Intensive Care Unit and 10 in the Intensive Care Unit.
The situation in the hospitals is as follows:
|Hospital||Chamber||Number of Patients|
|Intensive Care Unit||3|
|Intensive Care Unit||15|
|Intensive Care Unit||7|
C. Positive cases COVID -19 (PCR test and rapid antigen test):
Of the 40,891 laboratory diagnoses performed today, 2,763 were made by the molecular method (PCR) and 38,128 by the antigen rapid test, 352 cases of COVID-19 were identified, which resulted as follows:
- 100 cases from 641 samples obtained through the process of tracking close contact (primary contacts) cases.
- 5 cases of 1,016 samples taken as part of a passenger check at Larnaca and Paphos Airports.
- 16 cases from 576 samples taken through private initiative.
- 6 cases from 310 samples taken from the Microbiological Laboratories of the General Hospitals.
- 8 cases from 272 samples examined by the method of antigen rapid test in private clinical laboratories.
- 217 cases from 37,856 samples examined by the method of antigen rapid test through the program of the Ministry of Health.
In addition, the following laboratory tests were performed without detecting a case:
- 1 sample taken as part of a re-inspection carried out on the 7th day after the arrival of persons who have returned from the United Kingdom and are in a mandatory restriction in hotels in the Republic.
- 219 samples received under the program of referrals by Personal Physicians and control of special groups through the Public Health Clinics.
In detail, the rapid antigen test (rapid test) was performed today as follows:
|Province / Sector||Test number||Number of positives||Percentage of positivity|
|Limassol Industrial Area||424||4|
|Strovolos Industrial Area||417||2|