9 June 2022 INSIDER • GOAL • IN-CYPRUS • PROPERTY • CYPRUS-IS • CAREER LIKE • GOING OUT • XRYSES SYNTAGES • ACTIVE • PHILGROUP NEWS & nbsp; SOCIETY & nbsp; INSIDER & nbsp; OPINIONS & nbsp; GOING OUT & nbsp; CULTURE & nbsp; SPORTS & nbsp; AUTO & nbsp; GOOD LIFE & nbsp; USEFUL & nbsp; PRINTED EDITION & nbsp;
class = “burgMenu”>
Petridis responds to EAC guilds HOME • INSIDER • CYPRUS • Petridis responds to EAC guilds
style = 'color: black' class = 'fa fa-user' aria-hidden = 'true'> & nbsp & nbspInsider & nbsp; & nbsp;
Letter- a reply to the four unions operating in the EAC was sent today by the Minister of Finance. & nbsp;
Below is the letter as it is: & nbsp;
1. & nbsp; & nbsp; & nbsp; & nbsp; I would like to refer to your relevant letter dated. 7.6.2022 and to quote the following regarding what you note with unacceptably intense style
2. & nbsp; & nbsp; & nbsp; & nbsp; & nbsp; First of all, I must emphasize the institutional role and reason that the Ministry of Finance has on the Budget proposals of any legal entity under public law, including the Cyprus Electricity Authority. Therefore, in no case can your position be accepted that the Ministry of Finance should embrace the EAC's recommendations regarding staffing needs.
3. & nbsp; & nbsp; & nbsp; & nbsp; & nbsp; In any case and in this case, in relation to the current Supplementary Budget of the EAC for 2022, which is pending for study at the Ministry of Finance, its provisions on Financial Responsibility and the Financial Framework Law (articles 65 and 99) are recalled based on whose supplementary or amending budget bills are submitted to the House of Representatives only after June 15 of the current financial year.
4. & nbsp; & nbsp; & nbsp; & nbsp; & nbsp; In particular, and regarding the alleged lack of staff in the EAC, due to the untimely replacement of staff that left, it is pointed out that filling vacancies is the sole responsibility of the Organization. According to the data before us, on 16.3.2022, 285 of the 2329 positions included in the EAC Budget for 2022, ie 12.2% of the Organization's potential, were vacant.
5. & nbsp; & nbsp; & nbsp; & nbsp; & nbsp; Furthermore, it is stated that your request for the creation of 393 new positions is too large as it leads to an increase of the Organization's capacity by 17% and if the existing vacancies are taken into account, we end up with an increase of employment by 678 people, leading to an increase in costs operation of the EAC and further increase of electricity consumption billing prices, in a difficult period for the consumer.
6. & nbsp; & nbsp; & nbsp; & nbsp; & nbsp; Nevertheless, the Ministry of Finance is in a positive position with the strengthening of the staffing of the Transmission Network and Distribution System Sector.
7. & nbsp; & nbsp; & nbsp; & nbsp; & nbsp; The Framework Agreement for the introduction of a Professional Pension Benefit Plan in the public service and in the wider public sector, was signed between the Government and Trade Unions of the wider public sector & nbsp; at the highest level. For the EAC in particular, which as you mention in your letter operates in a competitive environment and must, as an Organization, take into account the costs incurred for staff benefits, the adoption of the provisions of the Agreement (payment by employer and employee of 5% on the annual gross pensionable benefits for the payment of retirement benefits), instead of the existing plan with double contributions, can only be positive, as funds will be released for the necessary investments by the Agency, making the Agency more competitive. & nbsp; The planning of a key organization should not be governed primarily by union motives.
8. & nbsp; & nbsp; & nbsp; & nbsp; & nbsp; Finally, the reduction of electricity costs and consequently the prices that the consumer is required to pay are a priority of the Ministry of Finance and may arise through the containment and/or reduction of the operating costs of the EAC, including through the containment of employment. . & nbsp; Furthermore, the penetration of Renewable Energy Sources (RES) in the transmission network and distribution system with production costs much lower than compatible, will help greatly in reducing electricity consumption costs that burden consumers and the economy at large.
9. & nbsp; & nbsp; & nbsp; & nbsp; & nbsp; Particularly with regard to the penetration of RES, it is noted that the inaction of the Agency to make the necessary investments in the transmission network and distribution system, despite the accumulation of the necessary funds from debits in the accounts of the Organization, does not allow the penetration of RES. which refers to practices of protecting the Agency's monopoly status and delaying market opening. & nbsp; According to your ten-year plan, if the relevant development planning were implemented, it would allow the further penetration of RES in the network, increasing the effectiveness of state support plans, so that households and businesses could benefit from reduced electricity prices while providing electricity. the possibility of increasing the ceiling for the installation of photovoltaics in households beyond 100% of electricity consumption.