OF KRITONAS KAPSALIS
Football logic says that since you can not change the players of a midfielder of the season, you change the coach, when things do not go well, it has its basis. But does it apply in the case of Apollo Limassol?
The Limassol team lost a crucial derby last Monday from its compatriot AEL and lost it if we judge from what we saw from our television receivers, fairly.
AEL had liveliness, played with mind and tactics and pressed Apollo in its weak points. What are these;
They appeared from the first phases on the field after the start of the match.
- Apollo traditionally in difficult and critical games does not go down with the right psychology. The huge stress of his players was evident from the first misplaced (in the pigeons) operation and cross of Pedro. A bunch of Youste followed, which almost cost if Antoni Georgiou scored, followed Dimitriou's mistake when he sent the ball to his opponent's feet to start the AEL goal phase.
- Apollo suffers defensively. First, Juste, Roberz, Vassiliou, Pedro have their years now, despite the fact that no one disputes their value. Apollon may lose the championship because these defenders (especially the central ones) do not have replacements to be able to breathe. The concession of Salai, in short, will cost, unless Katelaris, Psychas and Malekkidis acclimatize quickly. But is there time for that?
- The team has the best attack in the league. Why did he need Diego Biseswar and not strengthen defensively? After the arrival of the Dutchman, who is a craftsman but with a weak shot and not in the best physical condition, the team seems to be adjusting to his measures. Almost slavish. Biseswar also so far does not show that he can work perfectly with the two top scorers of the team, Pitta and Dickini. Last Monday he was literally lost on the field. We once saw him ask the ball from the defenders to play and the next moment he went up to the center forward position.
- Apollo generally has a problem connecting to his lines. When he plays 4-4-2 he has more coherence and moves better as a team than other systems which do not seem to work.
- Dimitriou's goalkeeper is evolving but he needs more work to become a better operator with the ball on his feet.
- The group has a chapter called Pittas. He has to develop him as an attacker and not to break him up by running up and down for 90 minutes until he is completely exhausted.
- In the center of the field he has better options than Markovic: The bikes Saketi, Matei and Denic and definitely the exuberant Hambo.
Maybe someone also mentioned coach Petrakis. Whose performances reach the exit of PAS Giannina in the Uefa Cup. But the problem seems deeper. All these years the management of the association is trying but it has failed in a critical area. To build the mentality of a large team, which emerges great mainly in difficult times.