The violent incidents that rocked South Africa last week left a total of 337 dead, the government announced today, according to a new provisional report.
“South African police have reconsidered the total death toll” in Johannesburg to 79 and in the eastern province of KwaZulu-Natal to 258 as a result of the violence, said Minister Hubunjo Nsavheni, attributing part of the increase to injuries their injuries “.
Corpses were also found in various places inside buildings, construction sites or industrial facilities that caught fire around the port of Durban and whose retrieval has just begun.
In the industrial suburb of Piedmont, a police officer told AFP this week that several bodies had been found in recent days trapped in fires, which had been looted in the midst of the incidents.
Violence, looting and arson erupted on July 9 in KwaZulu-Natal, the day after the imprisonment of former President Jacob Zuma, who was sentenced to 15 months in prison for insulting a court. The riots quickly spread to Johannesburg.
Zuma, 79, was convicted last month of contempt of a Constitutional Court order to testify in a high-profile corruption probe during his nine years in power until 2018.
South African President Cyril Ramafoza complained that the riots and looting that lasted for a week were instigated and that there were people who planned and coordinated them, citing an orchestrated attempt to destabilize the country.