The European Union wants to have a role and say in the Cyprus process and this shows the interest at the highest level in Brussels. Josep Borrell's telephone conversation Tuesday night with President Anastasiadis and the occupation leader, Ersin Tatar, as well as the rescheduling of his trip to Cyprus in early March, confirm the fact that the Union is looking for a role. In fact, the visit of the European official here could be interpreted as a move that aims at two axes.
First: In the approach of the Turkish side, which is not positive about the EU involvement in the negotiation process. In the transfer to the occupation leader at the same time the clear position of Brussels as reflected in the letter of Borel to the Minister of Foreign Affairs Nikos Christodoulidis, in favor of the solution of a Biconical Bicommunal Federation. In the EU, they do not want and do not discuss a two-state solution in Cyprus and this is expected to be emphasized to Ersin Tatar by Josep Borrell. He has also said this to the Turkish Foreign Minister, Mevlüt Çavuşoλουlu.
Second: In the observation of intentions of the Greek Cypriot side in view of the March Summit, which will precede the informal five-party. It is recalled in this regard that Nicosia expects from Mr. Borrell the list of sanctions against Turkey, which he undertook to prepare. An issue on which there are certainly forces like Germany that do not want to move forward. In this context, it is estimated that the EU High Representative for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy will seek to soften the stance of the Greek and Cypriot sides and not to insist on sanctions.
All this, of course, is launched in the shadow of the Turkish challenges, which torpedo the whole effort. As it is known, a new Turkish NAVTEX has been issued for illegal seismic surveys in the Aegean (from today until March 2). A move that confirms the Turkish aggression and the obsession of the occupying power to implement its plans. At the time when the exploratory contacts between Greece and Turkey have begun and an informal Pentamer is planned for the Cyprus issue.
Ersin Tatar returned yesterday with new inflammatory statements accusing President Anastasiadis and Foreign Minister Nikos Christodoulidis of unacceptable demands that are intensifying, noting that “the solution model that provides for the cooperation of two sovereign states enters the agenda from us, as a new will be put on the table in the informal conference and we will not go back to it. “
He said that the fact that Mr. Anastasiadis “sets such conditions”, in his expression, means the continuation of the status quo in Cyprus and aims to strengthen the informal conference.
The occupying leader pointed out that the parameters of the UN, which have been on the agenda for years, have not produced results to date, and that no agreement can be reached with these parameters.
He said that insisting on these parameters means a deadlock. He added that the initiative of the Turkish side for Varosia and its implementation continue, and noted that “we will not succumb to the conditions” of the Greek Cypriot side on this issue.
He added that the actions of the Turkish side in the Eastern Mediterranean are aimed at protecting the rights and interests of Turkey and the pseudo-state, and that they will not leave energy resources in the Eastern Mediterranean only to the Greek Cypriot side and will not allow encroachment on Turkish rights and falsehood.
Responding to a statement by Foreign Minister Nikos Christodoulidis that there is no other solution than the federation, Mr. Tatar advocated a solution model based on the cooperation of two sovereign states with equal rights, which coexist side by side.
First Tatar meeting with negotiating team
Turkish Cypriot leader Ersin Tatar had his first meeting yesterday with former negotiators on the Cyprus issue, as well as lawyers and other experts who had been involved in talks in the past, in order to prepare for the expected informal meeting on the Cyprus issue. According to the Occupied Territories, the latest developments were reviewed and ways were discussed to “promote the vision of reconciliation and cooperation on the basis of sovereign equality and equal international status”.
The meeting was also attended by former “President of the Supreme Court” Taner Erginel, former “Attorney General” Zaim Necatigil, former members of the advisory body for the negotiations Dr. Ata Atun and Dr. Murat Tuzunkan.
Stoltenberg: Turkey's S-400 a threat to NATO,
Turkey's S400 system should not be integrated into NATO's integrated air defense system because it poses a threat to Allied aircraft, NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg said in an interview with the German newspaper Süddeutsche Zeit.
Stating that trust between Greece and Turkey is low and that the ongoing bilateral conflict does not weaken NATO from within, Stoltenberg responds that “there have always been different views in NATO. The Europeans were constantly at war for centuries.
We are now living in an unprecedented period of peace, and this is due to organizations such as NATO, which were created after World War II. Yes, there are tensions in the Eastern Mediterranean, but NATO has managed to set up a mechanism to avoid military incidents. In the summer of 2020, planes, ships and submarines of the two countries came dangerously close to each other, but unlike the 1990s fortunately there were no deaths. “This NATO mechanism also helped Germany persuade the Greeks and Turks to resume bilateral exploratory talks to end the gas dispute.”