The Ministry of Health announces that today, August 17, 2021:
- Three people died of COVID-19, bringing the total number of deaths to 464.
- 232 COVID-19 patients are hospitalized, of which 92 are in serious condition. 81.1% of patients do not have a history of vaccination.
- 14 post-COVID patients who have ceased to be infectious (declassified cases), continue to be hospitalized in intubated condition due to COVID in Intensive Care Units
- A total of 61,390 disease detection tests have been performed with the molecular method (PCR) and the antigen rapid test method.
- 412 (positivity rate: 0.67%) new cases of COVID-19 disease were detected by molecular tests (PCR) and antigen rapid tests, bringing the total number of cases to 109,665 .
The current results are detailed.
A. Deaths from COVID-19 disease:
The three people who died with the ultimate cause of death attributed to COVID-19 are:
- A 81-year-old woman who died on August 16 at the Limassol General Hospital.
- A 71-year-old woman who ended up on August 16 in the Intensive Care Unit of the Nicosia General Hospital.
- A 92-year-old woman who died on August 16 at Larnaca General Hospital.
Therefore, the total number of deaths with a final cause of COVID-19 is 464, of which:
- 298 men (64%), and
- 166 women (36%).
The average age of those who die from the disease is 77 years.
In total, 232 patients with COVID-19 are treated in OKYPY hospitals, of which 92 are in serious condition or in MAF conditions.
Of the 92 patients in serious condition, 51 are intubated, one is admitted to an intravenous intensive care unit and 40 to an intensive care unit.
The situation in the hospitals is as follows:
|Hospital||Chamber||Number of Patients|
|Intensive Care Unit||8|
|Intensive Care Unit||13|
|Intensive Care Unit||10|
|Intensive Care Unit||3|
|Intensive Care Unit||6|
| Intensive Care Units
|Except for a respirator||1|
C. Positive cases COVID -19 (PCR test and rapid antigen test):
Of the 61,390 diagnoses made today, 6,388 were made by the molecular method (PCR) and 55,002 by the antigen rapid test, 412 cases of COVID-19 were identified, which resulted as follows:
- 39 cases out of 293 samples received through the process of tracking contacts of already confirmed cases.
- 10 cases from 2,992 samples taken as part of a passenger check at Larnaca and Paphos Airports.
- 88 cases from 2,809 samples taken through private initiative.
- 10 cases from 175 samples taken from the Microbiological Laboratories of the General Hospitals.
- 188 cases from 39,176 samples tested by the antigen rapid test method in private clinical laboratories and pharmacies.
- 77 cases from 15,826 samples examined by the method of antigen rapid test through the program of the Ministry of Health.
In addition, the following tests were performed, without detecting a case:
- 119 samples taken under the program of referrals by Personal Physicians and control of special groups through the Public Health Clinics.
In detail, the rapid antigen tests (rapid test) through the program of the Ministry of Health were carried out today as follows:
|Province / Sector||Test number||Number of positives|
|Sampling – Airports||174||0|