Announcement of the Ministry of Health regarding new cases of COVID -19 disease
The Ministry of Health announces that today, February 18, 2021:
- One person has died of COVID-19, bringing the total number of deaths to 228.
- 81 COVID-19 patients are hospitalized, of which 21 are in serious condition.
- A total of 25,555 disease detection tests have been performed by the molecular method (PCR) and the antigen rapid test method.
- 107 (positivity rate: 0.42%) new cases of COVID-19 were detected by molecular tests (PCR) and antigen rapid tests, bringing the total number of cases to 32,935 .
The current results are detailed.
A. Deaths from COVID-19 disease:
One person who died with the ultimate cause of death attributed to COVID-19 is:
- A 79-year-old woman with underlying diseases, who ended up at the Limassol General Hospital.
Therefore, the total number of deaths with a final cause of COVID-19 disease is 228, of which:
- 153 men (67%), and
- 75 women (33%).
The average age of those who die from the disease is 79 years.
In total, 81 patients with COVID-19 are treated in OKYPY hospitals, of which 21 are in serious condition or in MAF conditions.
Of the 21 patients who are critical, 10 are intubated, six are admitted to an intravenous intensive care unit and five to an intensive care unit.
The situation in the hospitals is as follows:
|Hospital||Chamber||Number of Patients|
|Famagusta (24 patients)||Intensive Care Unit||2|
|Intensive Care Unit||16 (6 out of ventilator)|
|Intensive Care Unit||3|
C. Positive cases COVID -19 (PCR test and rapid antigen test):
Of the 25,555 laboratory diagnoses performed today, 1,720 were made by the molecular method (PCR) and 23,835 by the antigen rapid test, 107 cases of COVID-19 were identified, which resulted as follows:
- 25 cases from 251 samples taken through the process of tracking close contact (primary contacts) cases.
- 15 cases from 1,023 samples taken through private initiative.
- 7 cases from 221 samples taken from the Microbiological Laboratories of the General Hospitals.
- 1 case of 2 samples taken under the immigrant structures control program.
- 1 case of 26 samples taken in the context of the control of the Cyprus Basketball Federation and the Cyprus Volleyball Federation.
- 1 case from 196 samples tested by the antigen rapid test method in private clinical laboratories.
- 57 cases out of 23,639 samples examined by the antigen rapid test method through the program of the Ministry of Health.
In addition, the following laboratory tests were performed without detecting a case:
- 73 samples taken through the process of tracking secondary case contacts.
- 124 samples taken under the program of referrals by Personal Physicians and control of special groups through the Public Health Clinics.
In detail, the rapid antigen test (rapid test) was performed today as follows:
|Province / Sector||Test number||Number of positives||Percentage of positivity|
|Agios Athanasios Industrial Area||325||2|
|Mesogi Industrial Area||160||0|